Monday, September 3, 2012

The rains.

(A story)
We came home after a good day of work at school. I stopped by the elementary building and helped Nancy with a computer issue and so we got home about 5:15. She was hungry so she went ahead and got out the pesto and pasta that the housekeeper had prepared for us per our directions. It was good.
I sat down at the couch and checked my email and Facebook, then turned on the TV to see if I could catch the news before I too ate my supper.

No Luck.

The TV comes on just fine, but on the screen there is a message "Technical Problem - your set top box is not receiving signal" , followed by a set of four instructions telling me to turn off and back on, etc.  I had had this problem another day and found that the housekeeper had switched off the box when she cleaned, so I went about checking , turning things on and off, changing channels, etc.

No luck.

So I gave it up and went and enjoyed supper. Sat back down to do some work and looked at the screen again to see if it had somehow fixed itself (these things do sometimes), when I re- read the final line of the technical problem instructions:
4. In heavy rain, please wait till the rain subsides to regain signal.
(end of story)

By Rakesh Krishna Kumar from Mumbai, India (Under heavy assault) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Yes, the rains came today.

After a fairly dry monsoon season so far with mostly just scattered showers since the middle of July, today felt like Monsoon.  The rain started this morning and has been coming down steadily all day. Punctuated by sessions of heavier, "bucket dumping" , but not interrupted with thunder or lightening or high winds, the water just keeps coming down.  Mostly straight down, so its easy to stand under a bit of shelter and look out and listen. What a great sight and sound experience.  I have to tear myself away from the window now to write this.
It is glorious.

I love the rain. For more than 30 years my colleagues in Michigan would think I was joking when, before my annual camping trip with a large group of grade 8 students , I would say, "I hope we get some rain." I wasn't joking.
There is something magical and life-giving about the rain, especially in an agricultural land that goes three quarters of the year without much rain and depends on the regular monsoon rains for 80% of its rainfall.
There was a little flooding on the way home from school on the main road.  Traffic of course moves slower because as the roads flood from the sides, the roads get narrower and narrower and people begin to walk down the middle of road more than usual to avoid the flooding. Our side road had just small rivulets on each side a few hours ago, but the last time I checked out the window, I saw that the water streached from side to side. 

All the old-timers at ASB trot out the story of the monsoon of 2005 (I think?) when the flood was so strong that some folks were stuck in the school for three days. I think I would have liked to have been here.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, like rain. I have fond memories of the monsoons in Malaysia. You could set your watch to them. They coincided with the evening call to prayer from the mosques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found out a little more about the rain yesterday - I found out it took some friends about 3 hours to make the trip home from school last due to the flooding. They left about an hour after I did. The trip normally takes about 20 minutes. Newspaper said one area of town got 243 mm ( over 9 inches) of rain.

    ReplyDelete