Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Mzungu ?

Michigan, Mumbai, and Mzungu ?
You may have noticed that we changed the name of our blog !
The blog was entitled "Michigan and Mumbai", because when we started it I thought it would simply last for the time we were in India and then quietly go away (Well, it almost did).
We've added the word Mzungu to the blog. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mzungu

Mzungu is the Swahili word commonly used for foreigners.  Besides the fun sound of it, I really appreciate the origin of the word as wikipedia describes it ... "Literally translated it meant "someone who roams around aimlessly" or "aimless wanderer."  We do sometimes have the dizzy, lost look, but do also enjoy our wanderings and we like to think they are not all aimless.
Grand Canyon - March 2015 - Nancy had never been so we scheduled a little trip.

Leaving India was stressful.  The emotional energy involved in the packing, saying goodbyes, and thinking about the changes coming to our lives left little reserve for the practice of blogging.  I just wasn't in the right space to do so. So this blog has been sadly neglected for about a year.

We moved back to the states in July of 2014, enjoying the return to our home and friends and the change in weather and environment. We spent much of our time doing things we hadn't done for two years - working in the yard, rearranging and cleaning the house, re-involving ourselves with church and community.  Life was enjoyable, quiet and peaceful in Michigan after the clamor and energy of India.
We have now begun a new adventure.  Nancy accepted a 3 month substitute teaching position at a small British school here in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania  (On the eastern side of Africa). I came along as moral support, house-boy, chief cook & bottle-washer, and whatever other tasks may come my way.  As I was going through some emails today, I recalled that several friends had said something about expecting good stuff from the blog, and realized that I should have some time that I could devote to that endeavor.   So here we go.

I've got a few posts sharing some reflections on India that I had started but never really completed.  I may post one of two of those before I start some about Tanzania.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your new adventure. You are "retiring" right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim,

    Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Better get your hiking boots on and do Kilimanjaro while in Tanzania! I made it and so can you. Enjoy your adventures.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world can be a small place if we allow it to be, but we grow so much when we step out into the unknown. I enjoy expanding my world vicariously through your travels, and "experiencing" places I may never have the chance to visit firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world can be a small place if we allow it to be, but we grow so much when we step out into the unknown. I enjoy expanding my world vicariously through your travels, and "experiencing" places I may never have the chance to visit firsthand.

    ReplyDelete